I-330 represents 2 things. Firstly, rebellion, or fighting for freedom, in terms of standing up against the oppression. This is through her role in mephi, as she tries to make a stand and wants freedom to, not freedom from.
I-330 also represents the unknown, as will be seen in the next slide. To this extent, she contrasts with the openness of the One State, (also linking to the rebellion).
“There was a kind of strange irritating X to her”
Mathematical Language – Links a lot with the rest of the book – I-330 as a name is mathematical anyway. But the x links to the mathematical as, historically, x is used as the unknown, the variable. To this end, say with D-503’s equations, the X is what must be discovered, based on the open facts of other parts of the equation. Therefore, when x is used to describe I-330 (QUOTE), it is the part of her that D-503 can’t place (The unknown).
Being a member of the collective mindset, D-503 doesn’t know the parts of I-330 that is unknown to the One State – her role in mephi. So D-503 knows what the One State knows, and can’t place what it is about her that the collective mind doesn’t. In his quest to discover this unknown, he is drawn away from this collective mindset, and dragged away from the influence of the One Sate.
Moreover, the letter of X holds connotations on its own. The first connotation of the letter X is that, as a letter, its a cross. This holds religious symbolism, which is in complete contrast to the One States condemnation of the religion (Seen through D-503 laughing about the possible concept of it.) Ironically, this also links to her role in the mephi – a further religious symbol. Further exemplifying her contrast to the One State, that she represents something condemned by it.
On top of this, the letter X is a sharp letter, representing links to aggressiveness and danger.
Eyes:
Eyes hiding the unknown within I-330, much like the blinds hide the unknown when they are lowered (Smoking, Alcohol)
Society made of glass and openness, she doesn’t represent the society, lowers the blinds on this openness, not representative of the collective mindset
One State cannot control love (behind the closed binds), so what is behind the closed blinds is uncontrollable – so is I-330 – like love, is uncontrollable – this love also relates to D-503 who falls in love with her.
Influence:
I-330 herself doesn’t change throughout the book – same mindset (bring down the One State), this means that her role in the story is to effect change, namely on D-503.
This is highly important as the book is about this change in mindset of D-503, and the key reason for this is because of I-330
She changes D-503 from a blind love of the One State, showing him freedom to as opposed to freedom from, and opening his mind up to the alternative hidden by the One State. This enables her to use D-503 to take control of the integral – the man aspiration for the One State, and attempts to use it against the One State.
I-330 uses the ancients house – a house taken from Zamyatin's time of writing – to show D-503 life outside of the One State, and show that the condemnation of the past that he holds (calling it barbaric etc) may not be so true, and that it may have even been a better time.
Contrasts:
I-330 acts as a contrast to 0-90 in that I-330, as a number, has I – straight line – mathematical perfection – better embodiment of One State – Ironic, as clearly O-90 is a far more subservient cipher, and actually obeys the rules. Possibly the reason for D-503s fascination with I-330.
I-330 also contrasts with the One State itself
A)Freedom from vs Freedom to
A)View of happiness
B)Leads to her rebellion
B)View of society
A)Glass, Behind Curtains
B)Refuses to conform to table of hours.
Her death is a very public death, but also paints her ideals in a better light
A)Martyrdom – Dying for the Mephi much like the Christian martyrs died for Christianity
A)her death sparks progress for the Mephi – Allows the birds to come into the One State, social rebellion into society.
B)Willing to die for her cause – risks all, loses all, still achieves progress
B)Shows the barbaric nature/oppression of the One State – public torturing and killing
No comments:
Post a Comment